Thursday, January 4, 2007

Getting ready to go back.

Deceiving though the title of this blog page may be, it's the best I could come up with. I actually am more than half-way done with my Peace Corps service. With 11 months to go, I had been out of the United States for 16 months living in rural Nicaragua when I came home to visit for the holidays a couple weeks back. One would think reverse culture shock would've taken its hold, but I actually transitioned back into States-side living a little too well. There were the typical initial shocks: watching people walk out of Starbucks with coffees the size of my head, eating a salad large enough for 3 meals, etc., but once at home, I was more relaxed than I had been in, well, 16 months. As a parting (and very liberating) gesture before I go back to Nicaragua, I donated 11 inches of my hair to Locks of Love (Google it- the link wasn't working for me).
Of course, I had to take the before and after pictures:



Kindly ignore the fact that I look drugged in this picture.



Yay! Look how happy and not-drugged I am!


So in a couple of days I'll be heading back, and though I'm nervous, I'm pretty excited to get back to my host family, my friends, and of course, my dog. I have a number of projects lined up- the first of which will be a collaborative effort with all the volunteers in my department (we're a small group at 8). We'll be giving one teacher workshop in each of our sites to 50 teachers in the area on a variety of topics ranging all the way from First Aid in the classroom (done by a Health volunteer) to creative fundraising and budgeting (done by a Small Business volunteer). By the end of January, we hope to have finished all 8 workshops so that when school starts in February, we're free to start our own projects within our sites.

So enjoy the new website! I hope to have a lot more pictures and maybe even videos to make the words just that more interesting.

3 comments:

Jon KK said...

Zehr gut, Naomster! It will be nice to see more pics. Don't forget to include the dog, your familia, and big bugs, and....

And cutting your hair also clears the mind! Who knew?! (Very nice gesture too.)

Anonymous said...

I can truely not believe how fast your hair grows!! It's amazing. you're amazing for doing that! Best wishes for your last eleven months!!

Jen and Zah

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.